Thursday 4 October 2012

Turkey Day!

Mmmm I love turkey day...aka Thanksgiving.

I love making dinner for my family.  I'm dedicated to the perfect meal and it feels so good when it all turns out perfectly. 

 
 

Turkey

1. Clean it out, wipe it out, dry him up.  Pull out the bag of giblets if included.  I'm not keen on these but I leave them in the pan to cook for the drippings I use for the gravy
2. I salt the outside a bit - usually sea salt for health.  I find that a bit of salt holds in the juices better in all my meats.
3. Butter the outside, I get messy and use my hands to butter that baby.
4. I stuff it sometimes - I know it's not recommended but if you prefer not, I cram with apples and onions.
5. Tie him up, both the neck and the rear.  I use thread and needle to sew with big stitches (maybe four stitches on the back side.  I cover him for the first 3/4 of the cooking
6. Roast the turkey until the meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F. Don't forget to let the bird rest at least 30 minutes before carving to allow the juices to re-absorb into the flesh. You don't want the moisture to drain out.

Roasting times are for a preheated 325 degrees F. oven.
Approximate Roasting Times for Stuffed Turkey
Turkey Weight
Hours
6 to 8 pounds3 to 3-1/2 hours
8 to 12 pounds3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours
12 to 16 pounds4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours
16 to 20 pounds5-1/2 to 6 hours
20 to 24 pounds6 to 6-1/2 hours
Approximate Roasting Times for Unstuffed Turkey
Turkey Weight
Hours
6 to 8 pounds2-1/2 to 3 hours
8 to 12 pounds3 to 4 hours
12 to 16 pounds4 to 5 hours
16 to 20 pounds5 to 5-1/2 hours
20 to 24 pounds5-1/2 to 6 hours

Stuffing

1 1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread
 

No comments:

Post a Comment